When to call 911?
If someone has a seizure it is not always a medical emergency. Call 911 if:
- If the seizure lasts longer than 5 minutes.
- If the seizure repeats without full recovery between seizures.
- If the person having the seizure is pregnant, has diabetes, or is having their first seizure.
- If confusion after a seizure persists for more than one hour.
- If consciousness or regular breathing does not return after the seizure has ended.
- If the seizure occurs in water.
- If the person receives an injury during their seizure